A continuation of the journey that began on January 1, 2010, recorded in "a year of getting up to meet the day." After 365 consecutive sunrise outings in that year, I couldn't bear to give up the dawn. This blog (no longer daily) will be informed and inspired by the rising light of the morning sun.

IN ADDITION TO PUBLISHING MY OWN POSTS, I INVITE READERS TO SEND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

otherworldly snowlight, in the darkness before dawn

sunrise:  6:21

Jonathan and I had to pull out at 6am sharp this morning, so my alarm was set for 5.

It was one of those odd nights.  Couldn't sleep until close to midnight, then I was awake at 2:30.  Wide awake, mind abuzz.

For some inexplicable reason, the Hebrew phrase "Baruch adonai elohim" was chanting through my brain like a mantra (which might not even make any sense), even while a dozen other thoughts, ideas, plans, edits, story ideas, career paths, were all filing through.  And there was music too - "Da Dayenu."

I am not Jewish, but I love the Jewish cultural traditions, music, spirit, history.  I wondered if I might have been receiving some kind of subliminal message.  Is it Passover this weekend?  Nope - one more week to go.  I have no explanation.



At 4am, even wider awake, I decided to just get up and start my day.

I wrote down a lot of the brain salad chaos that I had been entertaining, just to set it aside for later.  Then at 5 I took the dogs out.  It was still too dark for a camera, but I wish I had given it a try anyway.  The world was an enchantment of snowfall.  Heavy clumps of snowflakes fell in my hair and every tiny twig and needle was coated with a thick highlight of white.  I felt like I was in C.S. Lewis' fantasy forest world of perpetual winter.  Quiet.  Gentle.  And filled with an otherworldly hush of anticipation in the ground-lit darkness preceding the dawn.

Jonathan took a couple of shots from the car as we pulled away.  But in the light of day, rushing down the roadway, it had already lost the magic.

1 comment: