A continuation of the journey that began on January 1, 2010, recorded in "a year of getting up to meet the day." After 365 consecutive sunrise outings in that year, I couldn't bear to give up the dawn. This blog (no longer daily) will be informed and inspired by the rising light of the morning sun.

IN ADDITION TO PUBLISHING MY OWN POSTS, I INVITE READERS TO SEND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sunshine and tomatoes

sunrise:  6:20




It has been a month since I've posted a shot of the actual rising sun, so I thought it was high time.

Besides, I didn't think that "the dark side" was  a title that should have a long tenure on a blog about the sunrise.





I photographed the whole shebang this morning, pre-dawn through the final appearance of our bright star companion.  It took 45 minutes, all told. (*)  I am reminded once again of why I'm glad that I'm no longer doing this every day.

Then again...I'm also reminded of why I did it daily for a year.




























Also, I couldn't let the harvest season pass without at least one picture of tomatoes, which fill our kitchen and yard with a vibrant overabundance.  Here's a recipe (from my mother-in-law) that helps use up tomatoes.  Try it at your next pot luck meal, and watch 'em disappear:


***********************
Sweet Tarragon Tomatoes:
(really easy!)



ingredients:
2lbs tomatoes (about 4 large) sliced 1/4 inch thick

1/4 cup tarragon vinegar (and add some 18 year aged balsamic if you want)

Dry mixture - combine:
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

instructions:
Lay half the tomatoes in a shallow dish or casserole
Sprinkle with half the dry mixture
Lay the rest of the tomatoes on top
Sprinkle with rest of dry mixture
Drizzle with vinegar

Chill for at least an hour
**************************



(*)  If you are a word buff, you may have questions about "all told," as I did.  Is it supposed to be "all tolled" ?  It is not!  I found a cool website that explained it.

No comments:

Post a Comment