A continuation of the journey that began on January 1, 2010, recorded in "a year of getting up to meet the day." After 365 consecutive sunrise outings in that year, I couldn't bear to give up the dawn. This blog (no longer daily) will be informed and inspired by the rising light of the morning sun.

IN ADDITION TO PUBLISHING MY OWN POSTS, I INVITE READERS TO SEND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

first sleeping in; Christmas dawn in London

Since many of you have asked, I will report on my first day of sleeping past pre-dawn for the first time in a year.

It was a mixed experience.  Since J and I made it past midnight (barely) to ring in the new year, my sleeping in was blissfully restful until around 8:45.  Then I grew restless.  I had a knot in my stomach; I felt like I was missing something (and I was).  Even harder, throughout the day, was refraining from sitting at the computer to write a post (I did so enjoy the string of comments on the Dec 31st post, however - many thanks to all!).  My whole sense of routine is off kilter.

It is clear that it will take some time to re-adjust to a new framework for the day. and it is certain that I will be up at dawn again before too long.

In the meantime, I am happy to report that I already have two sunrise submissions from other countries.  Today I will share this photo and some wonderful reflections from Nadia in England:


"It's New Year's eve here in Somerset where we are with Alan's parents after having spent Christmas in London (couldn't get to Maine - Heathrow snowed in) on our narrowboat in the Grand Union Canal. Which was frozen. You don't get very dramatic sunrises in English thick cloud, but here is the "sunrise" on Christmas morning from the stern of our boat, to add to your collection. A small spot on the canal thawed out enough to give the local swans a place to sleep and feed - those are not icebergs!


I love being on the canal - when you are in a boat, greeting the dawn outside is as simple as opening the back door and walking out onto the deck. Nature is so close - lots of wildlife even in the winter, when the birds use the canal as a source of food and escape. Seeing the moorhens iceskating across the ice as the day breaks is a good way to start the day off laughing."

1 comment:

  1. Nadia --

    What fun to read comments from you through Robin! I envy you your houseboat -- always a dream for many of us. But -- you've done well reaching dreams! Really looking forward to Windemere time in 2011 -- it is so wonderful to see the house with its spirit alive again ...

    Visited Barbara while I was in Hampden at Robin & Jon's a couple of weeks ago. She looked relatively well, but still dwindling. Wants to go home, of course, but without care I'd be terrified for her. I was glad I went -- even tho it took her a minute to realize who I was. I do love your mom ... and wish for her comfort. You and Maria have done a wonderful job in caring for her -- and I know better than many how hard that has been.

    Love to you and the mysterious Alan --

    ReplyDelete