A continuation of the journey that began on January 1, 2010, recorded in "a year of getting up to meet the day." After 365 consecutive sunrise outings in that year, I couldn't bear to give up the dawn. This blog (no longer daily) will be informed and inspired by the rising light of the morning sun.

IN ADDITION TO PUBLISHING MY OWN POSTS, I INVITE READERS TO SEND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM AROUND THE GLOBE.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

launching one's heart





This is a dated sunrise.  After her three month stint in California, learning about screenwriting, film, music, living on her own, managing quirky personalities, and driving in Los Angeles traffic, T ended her stay with a trip to San Francisco.  She sent me this shot of the western sunrise glow, reflected from the eastern dawn, out the window of our friend's apartment in that city.

My dear youngest child then returned home for a few fleeting weeks, to the opposite coast.  Yesterday, J and I brought her to her new home for the next 6 months - a 90 foot fishing-trawler-turned-ecotourism-vessel called the Wanderbird.  She interviewed and was hired last fall to become one of their small crew at the start of their spring/summer season.

One problem for me is that I seem to have become rather attached to my daughter, who has grown to be such a thought-filled, interesting, and charming companion.  I am experiencing some physiologic symptoms of grief in her absence.  I'm sure all of the unknowns of her sea adventure create some anxious fretting in my mother's heart, but I think most of my stomach knots are simply an ache of missing her company.

Fair winds and a following sea, my friend, my daughter---

No comments:

Post a Comment